While it may be trendy, the use of bone broth for a wide range of range of benefits is recorded as early as 20,000 BC. And while this new age “food as medicine” is perhaps NOT a panacea cure-all it does pack a healing bounty to benefit everything from glowing skin and a healthy gut to healthy thriving joints. So let’s take a closer sip…
What’s in bone broth anyway?
- Collagen & Gelatin – This is where the glowing skin comes from. Collagen is the main component of connective tissues including skin, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and bone. It provides the structure of these tissues and keeps us looking and feeling young and vibrant. Gelatin is the simmered form of collagen that is able to be absorbed into your body with ease.
- Bone marrow – Both red and yellow bone marrow exist inside the cavity of the bone. The red bone marrow manufactures new immune cells and red blood cells and the yellow marrow is composed of healthy fats.
- Minerals – Bone is comprised of minerals that include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc. Since an acidic medium is required to extract these minerals from food, always add vinegar or another acid in order to get the most minerals out of the bone.
- Amino Acids – Proteins like glycine, proline, arginine and glutamine which have anti-inflammatory effect and may support the immune system.
A quick cheers!
Now onto the bone broth benefits
It satisfies & fills you up—without adding pounds. Bone broth and bone-broth stews and soups are rich, complex, and hearty. Bone broth is very low in carbs and few calories, so you can be hunger-free even when you’re fasting.
- It’s good for weight loss. When you heal that inflammation with nutrients like those concentrated in bone broth—including anti-inflammatory proline, glycine, and arginine—your weight starts to shed and stabilize.
- It detoxifies your body. The amino acids, glycine and proline, aid your liver in removing toxins from your body.
- It supports digestion. It helps your digestive system by strengthening the gut lining and aiding with issues such as constipation, diarrhea, and gas. The gelatin and other nutrients in bone broth help to mend leaky gut, cure digestive problems and help with weight loss. And, because bone broth is hydrophilic—it attracts and holds liquids, like digestive juices – which helps you digest food more efficiently.
- It amplifies the good stuff. Bone broth gives a boost of easy-to-absorb essential minerals including calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus that help your body run efficiently.
- It supports joint health. Bone broth gives you a generous supply of glucosamine, chondroitin, and other glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) that help heal your joints. GAGs also help your body lay down collagen where it’s needed.
How to Use Broth
Broth is highly versatile and many chefs use it as a base for soups, gravies, sauces and delicious stews. Here are some great ways to use broth:
- As a base for soups and stews
- In a mug by itself as a warm drink (spiced with turmeric and black pepper is always good for winter months)
- As a base for gravy and sauce
- Use it to steam or cook veggies in for extra nutrients
Here’s where we go for the best bone broth in Boulder, CO:
Ready for a complimentary sip?
Dr. Kyle Willets presents “Get Lean + Clean with Bone Broth” 7pm MST September 27th @ Wonder in Boulder, CO. Come sip on Free samples of Wonderpress Bone Broth while Dr. Kyle shares the key ways to build a healthy gut flora, prevent and heal leaky gut, stay trim and lean, and maximize absorption of key micronutrients to promote longevity.
Plus, join us! The Alpine Fit Cleanse kicks off Oct 14th in Boulder, CO + Remote options available. You could win a FREE Liter of WonderPress Bone Broth.