We get it, going to the doctors can be anxiety producing for some people, but it doesn’t have to be. Some of this anxiety can be reduced just by knowing what to expect when you walk in the door. We love what we do and enjoy helping people like yourself, and we want you to be as comfortable as possible when you get here. Here’s an idea of what you can expect on your first day and how to make it most successful.
What to expect during your first appointment at Alpine Fit:
- When you arrive you will be greeted in our relaxing waiting room by your therapist and likely the therapy dog, Talula, offered some purified water or tea and welcomed into the office.
- We will review your electronically filled out forms that you completed prior to arrival in order for us to streamline your visit an save more time for treatment.
Evaluation with one of our licensed physical therapists:
- Conversation: Your physical therapist will spend time getting to know you and your concerns as well as your goals for PT.
- Physical exam: Your physical therapist will evaluate range of motion, strength, joint mobility, functional movement and any other clinically relevant items that will lead to the diagnosis and the development of your plan of care.
- Treatment: After gathering necessary information regarding your condition your physical therapist will initiate treatment to get you started on your way to healthier, pain-free movement. This may include some hands on treatment, exercise, education or movement/posture instruction all depending on the findings of the exam and your goals.
- Home activities: Your physical therapist will likely provide you with some exercises or modifications that you can implement immediately at home or work to actively move toward your goals before your next session.
- Develop a plan: Your physical therapist will communicate to you the areas of focus, expected length of treatment, and the initial plan. Your therapist is constantly assessing and re-assessing and will let you know if there is a change in this plan along the way for any reason.
Schedule follow up sessions:
- Your therapist will let you know how many sessions to schedule to get the most benefit from your treatment. If you know your schedule, you can book them as far in advance as you’re able (we recommend this as our schedule does get busy). This way you can ensure you have times that are most convenient for you.
- Our ultimate goal is to decrease any painful symptoms you’re having, improve your function and make you more independent in managing your symptoms and preventing future injury. Physical therapy is a commitment requiring engagement, time, and collaboration with your physical therapist for the most successful outcome.
How to make the most of your first day of Physical Therapy:
Arrive a few minutes early –
- We value your time and pride ourselves on taking patients on time. In order for us to spend more quality time with you during your appointment please arrive a few minutes early with your online paperwork already completed.
Wear comfortable clothing –
- Your therapist will perform a thorough exam in order to develop a plan of care that moves you closer to your goals. Therefore, it’s best if you wear something that allows access to the area of concern, ie. shorts for lower leg and thigh issues, tank tops for access to shoulders, etc. If you have a running concern, please bring the shoes you normally run in, and any orthotics, braces, inserts you may have.
Bring any additional information –
- We want to understand you and your concerns fully so we can provide you with the best care possible. The more information we have the better. Please upload to our portal or bring along any imaging reports such as xrays, MRIs, or ultrasounds you may have as well as any visit reports or impressions from doctors or specialists if possible.
Gather your thoughts –
- This is your opportunity to tell your story. Take a moment to think about dates of injuries, significant fluctuations in pain, activities that are most limiting for you and those you would like to get back to, as well as any other information you feel is useful in understanding your concerns. We can really hit the ground running if you let us know how we can best be of service to you!
We look forward to working with you!